The Society of Physics Students (SPS) is a professional association explicitly designed for students, dedicated to connecting and advancing students interested in physics. UMD's SPS chapter is made up of undergraduate physics and non-physics majors, always welcoming new members! SPS provides skills not offered in coursework, such as leadership experience, networking, outreach services, and effective communication in professional meetings and journals.
Interested in joining UMD SPS? Any UMD student come become a member by either:
- Contact SPS officers or SPS advisor
- Attend weekly SPS meetings
- Volunteer for a 1-hour donut shifts
2022-2023 SPS Team:
Vice President: Ronan Hix
Fundraising Chair: Wenxi Wu and Lincoln Doney
Social & Outreach Chair: Samarth Sriram
Tutoring Chair: David Bour
- National SPS Council Member for Zone 4, 2017-2020
- "The Outstanding Advisor for a Student Organization" by UMD Division of Student Affairs, 2015-2016
- Board of Regents Award for Outstanding Service to Students in an Academic Environment, 2020-2021
- SPS Outstanding Chapter Advisor, 2021
- SPS Partner Univeristy Lead for PhysCon 2022
SPS Members have access to:
- Research Collquia and lab tours
- Peer mentoring
- SPS tutoring (click to learn more)
- DEI leadership activities
- Community outreach
- Networking with UMD faculty
- Various social events
SPS Activities Include:
- Host the SPS Zone 4 Meeting!!
- Daily donut & coffee fundraiser
- GRE prep study sessions
- Co-host the Department's Research Showcase
- Volunteer with liquid nitrogen station at Maryland Day
- Participate in Physics is Phun program
- Awarded Outstanding SPS Chapter for six consecutive years, 2014-2020!!
- And much more! Visit the website for news and updates on all upcoming events.