It is with much sadness that the Department of Physics announces the passing of several members of our community.
- Gerald Abrams (Ph.D., '67), who spent most of his career at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, died on March 31, 2020.
- Nick Chant, who researched nuclear physics and served as the department's graduate director, died on October 15, 2021.
- Thomas Ferbel, a high energy physicist who held UMD appointments since 2013, died on March 13, 2022,
- Lavonne Dragt, wife of Prof. Emeritus Alex Dragt, died on November 12, 2021.
- Charles S. Dulcey Jr (Ph.D., 1982), who worked as a research physicist at the Naval Research Laboratory, died on Dec. 30, 2021.
- Michael Fisher, whose many honors included a USM Regents Professorship, died on November 26, 2021.