Faculty, Staff, Student and Alumni Awards & Notes
- Category: Department News
- Published: Tuesday, March 15 2022 00:01
We proudly recognize members of our community who recently garnered major honors, began new positions and more.
Faculty and Staff
- Ruba Abukhdeir joined the department as the Director of Business and Finance.
- Kaustubh Agashe, Mohammad Hafezi and Arpita Upadhyaya were elected Fellows of the American Physical Society.
- Jesse Anderson retired on December 31 after 34 years with the department.
- Lea Bartolome received the department's Staff Excellence Award.
- Alessandra Buonanno received the Balzan Prize.
- Sankar Das Sarma was named a highly cited researcher by Clarivate Analytics. He also wrote a commentary for Physics Today. He recently discussed the latest developments in topological phases in quantum computing at a Microsoft conference.
- Work by Jim Drake on the heliosphere was described in Phys.org.
- James Ellsworth joined the department as assistant director for of procurement, inventory and receiving.
- Sarah Eno was elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Manuel Franco Sevilla was named liaison between EF and Rare Processes and Precision Measurement group at Snowmass.
- Victor Galitski was quoated in Physics magazine.
- Jim Gates received the 2021 AIP Andrew Gemant Award. He was also profiled in Symmetry Magazine.
- Carter Hall was featured on the Department of Energy website regarding what his 2011 Early Career Award had meant to his research.
- Donna Hammer was named a Society of Physics Students Outstanding Chapter Advisor.
- Eliot Hammer joined the chair's office as coordinator of administration.
- Work by Anson Hook was described in Science Daily.
- Ted Jacobson's idea of a black hole laser was discussed in PhysicsWorld.
- Danae Johnson joined the department as a business manager.
- Melanie Knouse received the department's Staff Excellence Award.
- Alicia Kollár received a Sloan Research Fellowship.
- Wolfgang Losert received a Brain and Behavior Institute seed grant award.
- Howard Milchberg, Daniel Woodbury (Ph.D., '20), Robert Schwartz wrote a Physics Today Quick Study showing how revisiting early experiments with new tech leads to pinpointing individual electrons in ambient gases.
- Rabi Mohapatra will retire on August 1, 2022.
- Allen Monroe received the department's Staff Excellence Award.
- Johnpierre Paglione was named an Outstanding Referee of the Physical Review journals.
- Naomi Russo received the department's Sibylle Sampson Award.
- Jay Sau was named UMD co-Director of the Joint Quantum Institute.
- Yasser Saleh joined the department as procurement coordinator.
- Brian Straughn received the Lorraine DeSalvo Chair's Award for Outstanding Service.
- Fred Wellstood will retire on April 1, 2022.
- LaVita Williams joined the payroll office as a business service specialist.
- Elizabeth Bennewitz, a graduate student working with Alexey Gorshkov, has been named a finalist for a 2022 Hertz Fellowship.
- Yonatan Gazit and Yanda Geng received the Richard and Anna Iskraut Award.
- Donovan Buterakos, Haining Pan, DinhDuy Vu won the Richard E. Prange Graduate Student Award.
- Sagar Airen received the Kapo-Barwick Award.
- Batoul Banihashemi, Yan Li, Braden Kronheim, Edward Broadberry, Jeremy Shuler, Subhayan Sahu, Saurabh Kadam, Nathaniel Fried received the Ralph Myers Award
- Vakhtang Agayan (Ph.D., '00) was named Chief Technology Officer of KMK Consulting.
- Beatriz Burrola Gabilondo (Ph.D., '10) was named an APS Equity, Diversion and Inclusion Fellow.
- Laird Egan, (Ph.D., '21), was quoted in a Physics story on quantum error correction.
- Alexei Fedotov (Ph.D. ’97), received teh Dieter Möhl Medal in the field of beam cooling.
- Salman Habib, Director at Argonne Lab's high energy division was a PhD student of mine (1988).
- Ruth Kastner received a Visiting Fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh's Center for Philosophy of Science.
- Ying-Cheng Lai (Ph.D., '92) was named a Regents Professor at Arizona State University.
- Thomas Mason, B.S. '89, physics; B.S. '89, electrical engineering https://www.chemistry.ucla.edu/news/mason-group-research-featured-science-advances
- Elizabeth Paul (Ph.D., '20) and Matt Landreman published work on a twisty stellarator in Physical Review Letters.
- Denjoe O'Connor (Ph.D. '85) is now the Director of Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, the position Erwin Schrödinger held during World War II.
- TC Shen (Ph.D. '85) is a professor of physics at Utah State University.
- Chris Stephens (Ph.D. '86) is the director of the Center for Complexity Science at UNAM, Mexico City.
Victor Yakovenko's work in econophysics was discussed extensively in the book Anthill Economics.
- The UMD Society of Physics Students received an Outstanding Chapter Award. It also launched a newsletter, The Tortoise.
- UMD President Darryll Pines spoke with CNBC about quantum computing.
- IonQ, a company founded on research based at the University of Maryland Department of Physics, joined the New York Stock Exchange.
- IonQ also joined the University of Maryland in creating National Quantum Lab at Maryland (Q-Lab). The Q-Lab will be the nation’s first user facility that enables the scientific community to pursue world-leading research through hands-on access to a commercial-grade quantum computer.
- Women in Physics was featured in The Diamondback.